For a fresh take on the beloved summer staple, we deconstruct burger components and skewer them. Serve as part of a larger meal or as the main attraction.
- 3 dill pickle spears
- 1 small red onion
- ½ loaf fresh ciabatta
- 1 pound 80% lean ground beef
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated aged provolone
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium- high at least 30 minutes.
- Cut pickles, onion, and bread into 1-inch chunks.
- Form beef into 12 small patties, roughly the same size as pickles, onions, bread, and tomatoes. Skewer a bread piece, 2 beef patties, pickle, red onion, tomato, and another bread piece; repeat to create 2 deconstructed burgers per skewer. Repeat with remaining ingredients and skewers. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Place skewers on grill, and cook until ingredients start to brown, moving skewers to a cooler part of the grill if bread chars too quickly, about 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare or 1 to 2 minutes longer for medium to medium-well. Sprinkle grated cheese on meat (or everything, if you like) during final minute of cooking, and close grill to melt fully. Remove skewers from grill, and serve warm.