Carrot-Ginger Soup with Curried Mascarpone
Diligent seasoning is the key to great soup. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the pot every time you add another ingredient and you’ll get a deeper, more intense flavor.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 Red Delicious apple peeled and chopped
- 1 pound carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 4 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch five-spice powder
- Warm olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, then add ginger and garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add apple and carrots and cook until softened and browned, about 15 minutes. Deglaze pan with white wine, then add broth. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mascarpone, yogurt, curry powder, honey, and lemon juice in a bowl and stir well.
- Puree soup, then warm and adjust seasoning as needed. Just before serving, drizzle mascarpone mixture over soup.
Photo Credit Jennifer Silverberg