Cauliflower Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe Pesto
This broccoli rabe pesto can be used as a savory spread or a condiment for just about anything, but our favorite is on this mozzarella sandwich on sourdough. The broccoli rabe and walnuts bring a tart, tannic brightness to the creamy, dense cheese.
- ½ bunch broccoli rabe, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup walnuts
- ¾ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 8 thick slices sourdough bread, toasted
- ½ cup whole white anchovy fillets
- ½ cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh mozzarella
- ►Heat oven to 350°F. Combine broccoli rabe, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 cup olive oil, walnuts, Pecorino Romano, and garlic in food processor and process until smooth. Pesto will keep, refrigerated, for up to 10 days.
- ►Toss cauliflower florets with ¼ cup olive oil and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender. Cool to room temperature.
- ►Toss roasted cauliflower, anchovies, and parsley in a bowl with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- ►Spread pesto on toasted bread. Top 4 toast slices with mozzarella, then divide cauliflower mixture evenly among them. Close sandwiches with remaining toast slices and serve.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/