Baking the topping on its own and macerating the fruit helps this crisp stay crispy. Asiago lends a unique flavor note to the topping, mirroring the fruity notes of the filling and the almond notes of the topping.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 4 ounces asiago cheese, grated
- 3½ pounds nectarines, peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ teaspoon Chinese five spice
- Pinch salt
- ►TOPPING: Heat oven to 375°F. Add flour, oats, and sugars to a bowl and stir to combine. Drizzle in vanilla and stir. Cut in butter using your fingers until all pieces are ½ inch or smaller. Add almonds and cheese and stir to combine.
- ►Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out topping evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake topping 12 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- ►CRISP: Toss nectarines with sugar and let sit at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- ►Drain nectarines and reserve ¼ cup of juice. Whisk reserved juice with lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, Chinese five spice, and salt in a large bowl. Add nectarines and stir to coat. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking dish or a deep-dish glass pie plate. Top with prepared topping and bake until browned and bubbling, about 20 to 30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/
Styled by Chantal Lambeth.