Baking the topping on its own and macerating the fruit helps this crisp stay crispy. Asiago lends a unique flavor note to the topping, mirroring the fruity notes of the filling and the almond notes of the topping.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 4 ounces asiago cheese grated
- 3½ pounds nectarines peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ teaspoon Chinese five spice
- Pinch salt
- ►TOPPING: Heat oven to 375°F. Add flour, oats, and sugars to a bowl and stir to combine. Drizzle in vanilla and stir. Cut in butter using your fingers until all pieces are ½ inch or smaller. Add almonds and cheese and stir to combine.
- ►Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out topping evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake topping 12 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- ►CRISP: Toss nectarines with sugar and let sit at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- ►Drain nectarines and reserve ¼ cup of juice. Whisk reserved juice with lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, Chinese five spice, and salt in a large bowl. Add nectarines and stir to coat. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking dish or a deep-dish glass pie plate. Top with prepared topping and bake until browned and bubbling, about 20 to 30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Photographed by Joe St. Pierre.
Styled by Chantal Lambeth.