Chorizo and Manchego Stuffed Peppers
Saffron and paprika inspire paella flavors inside roasted peppers. Precooked or dry cured chorizo can be used interchangeably. Use red, orange, or yellow bell peppers; green peppers are not recommended as they are too bitter.
- 4 bell peppers halved lengthwise, stems and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 7 ounces diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup grated Manchego, plus more for serving
- ½ pound pre-cooked chorizo, diced
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- ►Heat oven to 400°F. Arrange peppers in a sheet pan, face down. Drizzle with olive oil and salt. Roast for 15 minutes, until peppers are tender.
- ► Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in a heavy bottomed skillet. Add quinoa and toast in oil with onions for a minute before adding chicken stock and tomatoes. Stir in saffron, paprika, thyme, and oregano. Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat and allow liquid to simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- ►Stir in chorizo and Manchego. Reduce heat to low and cover until peppers are ready.
- ►When peppers are cooked, fill them with quinoa mixture until peppers are overflowing.
- ►Finish peppers with additional finely grated Manchego and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/