Photography by Adam DeTour.
Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Candied Carrots and Ginger Whipped Cream
Cream cheese pinch hits for a stick of butter in this decadent recipe, while unsweetened ginger whipped cream keeps things from getting too cloying.
- 1½ cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 6 cups granulated sugar divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound carrots peeled
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ►Heat oven to 325°F. Grease a bundt pan generously and set aside.
- ►Add butter and cream cheese to a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until combined. Add 3 cups sugar and beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, allowing each to incorporate before adding the next. Add vanilla.
- ►Slowly add flour and salt to mixer and beat until a batter forms. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until top is golden brown and cake springs back when pressed, about 1½ hours. Cool cake for at least 10 minutes.
- ►While cake is baking, use a vegetable peeler to cut thin ribbons of carrots. In a small stockpot, combine remaining sugar with 1 cup water and add carrot ribbons. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until carrots are translucent, about 20 minutes.
- ►Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Transfer carrots to prepared baking sheet with a slotted spoon and spread out into a single layer. Cool completely, then chop into small pieces.
- ►When ready to serve, beat heavy cream using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add ground ginger and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Serve slices of pound cake topped with ginger whipped cream and candied carrots.
Styled by Kendra Smith.