BelGioioso Grilled Eggplant Lasagna Stacks
Eggplant lasagna is just as filling and satisfying as meat lasagna, but is vegetarian friendly. The key to this dish is crispy eggplant. Be sure to rest the eggplant for a full hour to remove all the excess liquid before frying it, and drain it on paper towels after frying to remove additional frying oil that will make it greasy. The result will be crisp, flavorful, and not at all greasy or bitter.
- 2 small eggplants
- 4 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup onions chopped
- 4 large fresh tomatoes chopped
- Fresh basil chopped
- 4 ounces BelGioioso Ricotta con Latte cheese
- 1 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons BelGioioso American Grana grated
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella cheese sliced
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Slice eggplant into ½-inch-thick circles, arrange on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Place another paper towel over eggplant and weigh down with another dish to help the eggplant weep out the moisture. Let the eggplant sit for one hour before frying in corn oil.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan and add minced garlic and onions and sauté until almost brown. Add chopped tomatoes and fresh basil and stir. Simmer sauce for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Combine BelGioioso Ricotta con Latte with cream, grated BelGioioso American Grana and egg to make a sauce; set aside.
- Spread ½ cup of sauce in the bottom of a gratin dish and layer with the fried eggplant slices, BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella, Ricotta mixture and tomato sauce. Place in oven and bake until warm and ricotta is slightly brown. Garnish with grated BelGioioso American Grana before serving.