French Toast BLT with Jarlsberg
An open-faced riff on a croque monsieur, this French toast is anything but ordinary. Buttery Jarlsberg cheese is the perfect addition to the rich egg soaked brioche, with a slightly-sweet finish that pairs perfectly with the smoky bacon.
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices brioche bread, cut at least 1-inch thick
- 12 thick slices smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2½ cups grated Jarlsberg cheese
- 2 -3 tomatoes, cut into 12 slices
- 6 cups spring mix
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ►Preheat oven to 350°F.
- ► Combine eggs and heavy cream in medium bowl; whisk to thoroughly blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- ► Place egg and cream mixture in a 9 x 13-inch pan and add bread slices. Leave bread to soak in mixture for 15 minutes; flip slices and soak for additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- ► As bread soaks, place large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon slices and cook until crisp; remove and drain on paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- ► Remove most of the bacon drippings from skillet and add oil. Working in batches, add soaked brioche slices and cook on each side until golden-brown.
- ► Transfer slices to parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until custard is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes (the bread should soufflé, or puff up).
- ► Remove pan from oven, sprinkle grated cheese over each slice, and return to oven; bake until cheese melts, about 4 minutes.
- ► Remove pan from oven. Place 1 slice of French toast on each serving plate. Top each with 2 bacon slices and 2 tomato slices.
- ► Place greens in a large bowl and toss with olive oil. Place greens on top of each French toast. Serve warm.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/