Fudge Brownies with Clothbound Cheddar
Although chunks of cheddar cheese make for an unusual addition to this classic brownie, the salty combination is a must-try. Add as much or as little cheddar as you prefer. For thinner brownies, a 9×13 baking pan can be used.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tablespoons salted butter cubed
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate finely chopped 3⁄4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup clothbound cheddar cheese crumbled
- Heat oven to 350°F and line a 9×9 baking pan dish with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter and chopped chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Remove from heat and whisk in sugars, then eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir carefully with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Pour half the batter into prepared dish and evenly sprinkle in about half of the cheese
- Pour remaining batter over top and use a spatula to smooth. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and press slightly into batter. (Skip this step if less cheese is desired.)
- Bake brownies for 40 to 50 minutes or until the top is crinkled, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly before serving warm.