Homemade Pimiento Cheese
This Southern staple is perfect for picnics, parties, potlucks, and really just any old time.
- 1 pound 4 cups shredded cheese (Coté recommends a mixture of sharp cheddar and smoky gouda)
- 1 red onion finely grated and drained of excess water
- ½ pound roasted red peppers finely chopped
- 1 cup aioli or good-quality mayonnaise
- 1 small bunch green onions finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce such as sriracha
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, fold together all the ingredients, coating the mixture evenly in the mayonnaise. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Adapted from Eden East in Austin, Texas