Inspired by the Indo-Dutch traditional Kaasstengel, these “cheese stems” can be customized with spices of your choosing. Enjoy as a snack or as a part of a charcuterie board.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 ounces aged Gouda, finely grated (try Wilde Weide)
- 2 teaspoons flaky salt
- Additional seasoning suggestions: everything bagel seasoning, aleppo pepper, za'atar, adobo seasoning
- ►Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unfurl pastry onto a clean surface. Cut into ½-inch strips lengthwise. Cut in half widthwise. Transfer pieces to prepared baking sheet. Brush pastry with beaten egg. Evenly distribute grated cheese and spices over pastry.
- ►Bake for 12 minutes or until puffed and golden. Transfer to a cooling rack.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/