Lemony Shrimp and Mixed-Herb Pesto Flatbreads
Parsley, chives, and cilantro make for a super-fresh and lively pesto, but you can use any combo of soft herbs that strikes you. Note: You’ll need wooden skewers, soaked in water for about 15 minutes, for grilling the shrimp.
MIXED HERB PESTO
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, zested, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup toasted almonds
- 2 cups roughly chopped parsley leaves and tender stems (about 1 bunch)
- ¼ to ½ cup roughly chopped chives
- ½ cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 pound raw shrimp (about 16 to 20 shrimp), peeled and deveined
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 recipe Basic Flatbread Dough
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted green olives (try Cerignola)
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
MIXED HERB PESTO
- ►Add garlic, lemon juice, almonds, parsley, chives, and cilantro to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture becomes a rough paste. With machine running, add olive oil in a slow stream.
- ►Transfer pesto to a bowl and stir in lemon zest, sugar, and salt. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Set aside.
- ►Toss shrimp with lemon zest, garlic, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium bowl. Season with salt. Thread shrimp on wet wooden skewers (about 4 per skewer), transfer to a platter or other large dish, and set aside.
- ►Heat grill to medium-high. Grill shrimp until opaque and slightly charred around the edges, about 6 minutes total. Remove from grill and set aside. When shrimp are cool enough to handle, remove tails and discard.
- ►Reduce grill heat to medium-low. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a 7-inch-long oval and brush both sides with olive oil. Place flatbreads directly on grill grates and cover grill. Cook, checking every 2 minutes, until dough bubbles and stiffens and flatbreads have visible grill marks on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip flatbreads, cover grill, and cook 1 minute. Remove from grill.
- ►Divide pesto among flatbreads and spread to coat the surface. Add 4 to 5 shrimp to each flatbread and top with crumbled feta. Return flatbreads to grill, cover, and cook, checking every 2 minutes, until cheese is softened and dough is fully cooked, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill.
- ►Sprinkle flatbreads with chopped olives, chives, and black pepper.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/