Marinated Vegetable and Asiago Sandwich
A simple sammie for summer, this meal comes together in a snap once the zucchini has been prepared. Add cured meat like salami or prosciutto if desired.
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ bunch fresh parsley chopped
- 2 basil leaves chopped
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 6 tablespoons olive oil plus more for dressing arugula
- 1 tablespoon balsamic
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- to taste
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 8 tablespoons artichoke pesto
- 4 ounces asiago thinly sliced
- 4 roasted red peppers
- ►Combine garlic, parsley, basil, red pepper flakes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl and set aside.
- ►Heat a grill to medium. Slice zucchini thinly using a vegetable peeler. Grill zucchini strips 1 to 2 minutes per side, just until grill marks appear. Transfer grilled zucchini to the bowl with the marinade. Toss to coat, cover bowl, and refrigerate 2 hours.
- ►Dress arugula with olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
- ►Grill pumpernickel bread until just toasted. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto on each slice of bread. Top 4 slices of bread with equal amounts asiago, marinated zucchini, roasted red peppers, and baby arugula. Add remaining slices of bread and press to close. Serve immediately.