Mexican Cheeseburger Sliders on Cornbread
The spicy kick of ground chorizo and chili powder liven up these juicy sliders.
- 1 box (5 ounces) corn muffin mix
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 large egg
- ½ pound ground or finely chopped chorizo
- ½ pound ground lean sirloin beef
- ½ small sweet onion, grated
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 3 ounces sliced smoked cheddar
- Pickled sliced jalapeño
- Ripe avocado slices
- THE CORNBREAD SQUARES: Prepare corn muffin mix according to package instructions, using a 9-inch square cake pan. cool and cut into 1½-inch squares, then cut in half to make tops and bottoms.
- THE SLIDERS: In a large bowl, mix chorizo, beef, onion, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Shape mixture into 2-inch patties.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. grill burgers to desired doneness—about 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare, or 145°F on an instant-read thermometer. Top with cheddar and jalapeño slices, and move them away from flame. Close lid of grill and heat until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Place burgers, between cornbread halves and garnish with avocado slices and salsa.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/