Peju Province Winery's Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits
Looking for an excuse to drink red wine at brunch? Try these Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits, a crowd-pleaser that pairs beautifully with Peju Province Winery’s Cabernet Sauvignon.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- 2 extra-large eggs
- ½ cup cold buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon milk (or water)
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar
- Heat oven to 425°F. Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix to combine, then add butter and mix on low speed until dough resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of milk in a small bowl. Add buttermilk and whisk to combine. Add buttermilk mixture to the dough and mix on low speed until moistened.
- Add cheddar and a handful of flour to a small bowl and stir to combine. Add cheese mixture to the dough and mix on low speed until combined.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Beat the second egg in a small bowl with a bit of water to create an egg wash. Set aside.
- Knead dough lightly on a well-floured board, making sure to not overwork it. Roll dough out to a roughly 10-inch-by-5-inch rectangle. Form ¼ cup-size portions and place onto the sheet pan. Brush tops with egg wash and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/