Penne with Peas, Italian Sausage, and Taleggio Sauce
A Taleggio and parmesan cheese sauce takes this baked pasta dish to another level. Feel free to substitute your favorite frozen vegetable for the green peas (no need to defrost). prior to baking
- 1 pound dried penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces Taleggio cheese, rind removed, and diced
- 6 ounces parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- ►Cook penne pasta according to package instructions and cool. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F.
- ►Heat olive oil in a medium skillet set over medium-high heat. Add diced onion. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- ►Add garlic to skillet and stir. Add ground Italian sausage and break up with a wooden spoon. Add salt, pepper, and cumin and cook until sausage has browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- ►Melt butter in medium saucepan set over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and stir with a wooden spoon to make a roux. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden. Add milk and whisk constantly, bringing mixture to a gentle simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue whisking until sauce has thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add Taleggio and 4 ounces of parmesan. Whisk until cheeses melt.
- ►Add sausage mixture, frozen peas, and Taleggio sauce to reserved pasta. Toss to combine. Pour pasta into a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish and top with remaining parmesan. Bake pasta for 20 minutes or until parmesan is golden brown.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/