Roti Pizza with Jammy Tomatoes and Cheddar
Reserve half of your roti pizza dough and switch up the toppings—fermented tomatoes and cheddar add extra zip to this pizza. You’ll need a 1-gallon ceramic crock for this recipe.
- 3 to 5 pounds tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons wine yeast (available at most brew shops)
- ½ cup edible flowers such as basil flowers or arugula blossoms
HABANERO CHILI OIL
- 3 pounds habanero peppers
- ½ tablespoon wine yeast
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- ½ pound honeycomb
- ½ tablespoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups olive oil
- ⅓ cup purple basil
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ tablespoon active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 bunch garlic chives, thinly sliced
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fermented tomatoes
- ⅓ cup basil leaves
- ½ pound raw cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Habanero Chili Oil
- ►FERMENTED TOMATOES: Rinse tomatoes and add to ceramic crock. Add salt, water, wine yeast, and edible flowers. Cover crock with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature overnight.
- ►The next morning, the plastic should have formed a dome and tomatoes should smell like
- bread. Transfer to a lidded glass storage container and place in the refrigerator.
- ►HABANERO CHILI OIL: The day before you want to serve this recipe, wash habaneros and mix with wine yeast and 1 tablespoon salt in a ceramic crock. Cover crock with plastic wrap and set aside somewhere warm overnight.
- ►The next day, chop habaneros and honeycomb and mix with cardamom. Add remaining salt.
- ►Heat oven to 325°F. Add habanero mixture, olive oil, and basil to a cast-iron skillet. Place
- skillet in oven for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, rest until cool to touch, then transfer to a glass bottle and refrigerate until ready to use.
- ►DOUGH: Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center to add olive oil and yogurt, then combine using your hands. Make another well and add ½ tablespoon warm water until you get a smooth and elastic ball. Cover and set aside in a warm place.
- ►TOPPING: Add olive oil, chives, and onion to a cast-iron skillet set over medium heat and cook until onions are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and stir to combine. Lower heat and cook until tomatoes are caramelized and blackened, about 10 to 20 minutes (cooking time will vary depending on desired doneness).
- ►Heat oven to 425°F. Using your hands, take about 1/6 of the dough and form a 9-inch circle. Repeat until you have 6 9-inch circles. Place on a well-oiled or parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Top with whole basil leaves and jammy tomato mixture. Top with a ¼-inch thick slice of raw cheddar, then transfer to oven and bake for 15 to 25 minutes. Drizzle with Habanero Chili Oil
- and serve hot.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/