Savory Oatmeal with Zesty Fromage Blanc, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, and Garlicky Kale
Oats work as a starchy vehicle—for sweet and savory toppings. Here, we top the whole grain with cumin- and coriander-spiced sweet potatoes, garlicky sautéed kale, a jammy egg, and fromage blanc brightened with cilantro and citrus zest. To help cut down on cooking time, prep the sweet potatoes and kale, boil the eggs, and mix the fromage blanc the night before.
- 8 ounces about ¾ cup fromage blanc
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leave
- 2 scallions white and light green parts sliced
- ½ teaspoon lime or lemon zest
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large sweet potato chopped into ½-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 3½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1½ teaspoons cumin seeds toasted and crushed
- 1½ teaspoons coriander seeds toasted and crushed
- 1 bunch kale stemmed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- Pepitas to garnish
- Flaky sea salt to garnish
- Hot sauce to garnish
- ►TOPPINGS: Combine fromage blanc with cilantro, scallions, and zest. Set aside.
- ►Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add eggs and set timer for 7 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath. Remove eggs from pan and place in ice bath. Cool, then gently peel eggs.
- ►While waiting for water to boil, heat oven to 375°F. Toss sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, cumin, and coriander in a medium bowl. Transfer to a large baking sheet and bake until sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- ►Meanwhile, warm remaining olive oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add kale and garlic in batches, tossing to coat with oil. When all kale is in the pan, cover and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until kale has wilted.
- ►Remove lid and season kale with salt and pepper. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until moisture has evaporated and kale is bright green and tender.
- ►OATMEAL: Bring milk and 2 cups water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and salt. When butter melts, stir in oats. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until oats are thick and tender. Remove from heat, cover with a lid, and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- ►TO ASSEMBLE: Divide oatmeal evenly among 4 serving bowls. Top with kale, sweet potatoes, egg, and fromage blanc. Garnish with pepitas, flaky sea salt, and hot sauce. Serve immediately.