Seared Halloumi with Dates, Orange, & Pomegranate
Don’t let the simplicity of this dish fool you. Chef Andrés combines big, bold flavors—like sticky-sweet Medjool dates and lip-puckering pomegranate molasses—to create an instant crowd-pleaser. Prep the ingredients before the party so you can throw everything together just as your guests arrive.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2 8- ounce pieces halloumi cheese sliced in half to form two square pieces each ½-inch thick
- 4 Medjool dates pitted and diced
- ½ cup shelled roasted, and salted pistachios
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 orange peeled and segmented
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 sprigs fresh mint leaves
- Place a medium nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat and add grapeseed oil. When oil is just beginning to smoke, place one halloumi piece in pan. Sear cheese until nicely golden brown, about 1½ minutes on each side. Repeat with other pieces.
- When halloumi is seared, reduce heat to low and add dates and pistachios, cooking for another minute to warm through.
- To serve, drizzle four plates with pomegranate molasses and olive oil. Place a piece of cheese in the center of each plate, and garnish with warmed dates and pistachios, orange segments, pomegranate seeds, and mint leaves.
Adapted from ThinkFoodGroup