Smoked Gouda, Kimchi, and Turkey Melt
Tangy kimchi—a fermented cabbage mixture that comes in varying degrees of spiciness—provides a bright flavor to complement melted cheese and roast turkey in this open-face sandwich. Kimchi is increasingly available in specialty food markets, but if you can’t find it, substitute good-quality red cabbage sauerkraut for a similar zing. Multiply the ingredient amounts as needed to make more sandwiches.
- 1 thick slice pumpernickel bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain honey mustard
- 3 ounces sliced roasted turkey
- 3 tablespoons mild red cabbage kimchi
- 1 thin slice sweet onion
- ¼ cup fresh pea radish, or alfalfa sprouts
- 2 thick slices tomato
- 2 ounces smoked Gouda thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ► Toast the pumpernickel. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the mayonnaise and mustard until blended.
- ► Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the bread, and top with the turkey slices. Next, layer the kimchi, sweet onion, and sprouts.
- ► Heat the broiler. Arrange the tomato slices, slightly overlapping, on a baking sheet. Layer the cheese slices on top of the tomato. Broil just until the cheese melts. With a metal spatula, transfer the tomato topped with cheese to cover the sprouts and complete the sandwich. Season to taste with black pepper and serve.