Smoked Gouda Twists
These elegant twists are easy to make and fun to serve—and they can be fully assembled and frozen raw for up to a month (wrap tightly and bake straight from the freezer). Serve with chilled wine spritzers and gin and tonics.
- 1 14-ounce box frozen puff pastry, thawed (try Dufour brand)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup grated smoked Gouda
- Place puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface. Roll dough into a roughly 12-inch-by-15-inch rectangle. Transfer to a baking sheet. Brush dough with egg. Sprinkle cheese over one-half of the dough, leaving a ½-inch border around the edges. Fold the bare half over and press dough down to make a tight packet. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Return dough to the lightly floured work surface. Use a pastry wheel or sharp knife to trim any rough edges and discard. Starting from the folded edge, slice dough into ¼-inch-wide strips. Twist the strips tightly and place on 2 parchment paper–lined baking sheets. If dough becomes soft or difficult to work with, return to refrigerator and chill 10 minutes before continuing.
- Place twists in the freezer for at least 20 minutes or until ready to bake (see headnote above).
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Bake twists until golden and puffed, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature (these are best the day they’re baked).
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/