Spanish Lentil Salad with Shrimp and Manchego
This salad is all about the lentils—be sure to check them every few minutes during the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking to ensure they don’t overcook. They should be tender but retain their shape.
- 1½ cups green French lentils
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 ounces dried chorizo, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, quartered, cored, and finely chopped
- Leaves from 2 to 3 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, divided
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1¼ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed, canola, or other neutral oil
- 2 heads frisée, white and light green parts only, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 ounces Manchego cheese, shaved
- Cook lentils according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook until lightly seared and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add celery and fennel and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme and 1 teaspoon paprika and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in lentils and 2 teaspoons vinegar. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add a splash of olive oil, if dry. Keep mixture warm.
- Toss shrimp with remaining 1 teaspoon paprika. Warm grapeseed oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook until lightly seared and opaque, about 2 minutes per side.
- Toss frisée with remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season to taste.
- Divide lentils among 4 plates. Top with shrimp and frisée, then scatter Manchego on top. Serve immediately.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/
Photo Credit Lisa Monahan