Spiced Chicken Livers with Goat Cheese Grits, Sweet Onion Vinaigrette, and Chicory
This homey yet sophisticated dish is a beautiful contrast in textures and flavors. Gilmore recommends serving it for brunch, as a starter, or as a light dinner paired with hearty bread and, of course, good beer.
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Leaves from 3 sprigs thyme
- ½ cup olive oil
- 8 ounces chicken livers (preferably cage free/pasture raised), large veins removed, soaked overnight in milk
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup uncooked stone-ground grits
- 6 ounces fresh chèvre
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 head frisée, trimmed, cleaned, dark leaves discarded
- 1 endive, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ½ green apple, thinly sliced (wait until livers are cooking to do this, so the slices won’t brown)
- THE LIVERS: Toast and grind the coriander, fennel, and cumin seeds (a mortar and
- pestle will also work). In a large bowl combine all the spices with the garlic, mustard, thyme, and olive oil. Drain and pat dry the chicken livers and toss in the mixture to coat. Set aside.
- THE VINAIGRETTE: In a large sauté pan, slowly cook the sliced onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat until they caramelize. If they start to burn, add a little water as necessary. When the onions are a dark, golden caramel color (about 30 to 35 minutes), whisk in the vinegar, mustard, and remaining olive oil. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- THE GRITS: Heat the milk in a medium saucepan and stir in the grits. Cook, whisking often, until the grits are tender, then add the cheese and butter and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt.
- TO SERVE: Heat the grill. Remove the livers from the marinade, and salt them. Grill until they are pink in the center, and set aside. In a large bowl toss the salad ingredients with the vinaigrette (re-whisk it first). Place a mound of grits on each of four plates and top with chicken livers. Place a handful of salad over the livers and grits, and serve immediately.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/