Spicy Skillet Eggplant Lasagna
Roasted eggplant slices are layered with spicy pork sausage tomato sauce and zesty ricotta flavored with red chili flakes and roasted garlic. Cut down on dishes by using the same skillet to both make the meat sauce and cook the lasagna.
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 large eggplant cut lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1 head garlic
- 12 ounces hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- ¾ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- ► Heat oven to 400°F and coat a baking sheet with olive oil. Arrange sliced eggplant in a single layer, brush with olive oil, and roast for 15 minutes or until just tender. Meanwhile, slice the top off the head of garlic to expose the cloves inside. Place the head on a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in the foil. Roast until cloves are tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Set aside; once cooled, remove cloves and mash well.
- ►Meanwhile, combine sausage and onion in a large cast-iron skillet set over medium heat, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook until well browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and wine, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium- low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes. In the last minute, add basil. Remove meat mixture from skillet and set aside.
- ►Combine ricotta, roasted garlic, egg, salt, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. If you prefer a smoother ricotta mixture, whip in a food processor.
- ►Heat oven to 375°F. Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of a cast-iron skillet. Arrange 2 to 3 eggplant slices on top. Cover with ¾ cup ricotta cheese mixture and top with a layer of mozzarella slices. Spoon 1 cup meat sauce over mozzarella slices and sprinkle with a layer of parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, switching the direction of the eggplant slices with each layer. Top the final layer of eggplant with parmesan, then arrange the remaining mozzarella slices in a
- single layer. Cover dish tightly with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 additional minutes until the cheese is browned and bubbly.