Spinach Parsnip Soup with Brie
Vibrant and warming, this pureed soup gets its silky body and creaminess from melted brie.
- PARSNIP CHIPS:
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and very thinly sliced into coins on a mandoline
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch spinach, tough stems trimmed (about 5 cups)
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces brie, rind removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- PARSNIP CHIPS:
- Line a plate with paper towels and place near stove. Fill a small skillet with a ¼-inch of oil. Heat over medium until oil is just smoking. Cook parsnip slices, a handful at a time, until golden and crispy. Don’t overcrowd skillet. Transfer to prepared plate with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with sea salt. Repeat with remaining parsnips.
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add parsnips and cook until they begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Gently simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach, salt, and a few grinds of black pepper to the soup. Add brie, a few pieces at a time, stirring after each addition. Cool slightly. Don’t worry if cheese hasn’t fully melted or if mixture looks broken.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until totally smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning. If serving immediately, reheat until steaming and serve with a handful of parsnip chips sprinkled on top. (Or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week, then reheat to serve.)
- You can make this soup ahead of time and reheat it, but make the parsnip chips just before serving. Take care not to overcrowd the pan, and fry only a handful of chips at a time—otherwise, the oil’s temperature will drop too steeply and the chips won’t crisp properly.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/