Sticky Gingerbread Cake with Whipped Crème Fraîche
This warmly spiced cake, adapted from Heidi Swanson’s 101 Cookbooks blog, is a fine addition to any holiday dessert spread, especially when accompanied by slightly sour, crème fraîche-kissed whipped cream.
- 1 stick 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 stick 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup blackstrap molasses
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee
- 1½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
WHIPPED CRÈME FRAICHE
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- 1½ tablespoons maple syrup
- Adjust oven rack to center and heat to 325°F. Grease 2 loaf pans with unsalted butter and line with parchment paper, ensuring some paper overhangs edges.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine butters, brown sugar, molasses, honey, and coffee. Stir frequently until butter is melted but not browned and all ingredients are well combined. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a large bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, ground ginger, baking soda, salt, allspice, and cloves. Set aside.
- When butter mixture is just warm to the touch, add eggs, one at a time, incorporating each fully. Stir in milk. Carefully fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients, mixing gently but thoroughly; there should be some lumps in the batter. Add fresh ginger, and stir to combine.
- Divide batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake 55 minutes or until tops of the cakes spring back when pressed.
- Remove cakes from oven, set pans on a wire rack, and let cool 10 minutes. Next, slowly lift cakes from pans using edges of parchment paper. Set on wire rack to cool completely. While cakes are cooling, prepare whipped crème fraîche.
WHIPPED CRÈME FRAÎCHE
- In a large, chilled bowl, whip cream with a stand or hand mixer, increasing the machine’s speed slowly as cream thickens. Just before soft peaks form, add crème fraîche and maple syrup. Continue whipping mixture until stiff peaks form. Serve immediately with sliced gingerbread cake or store for up to 10 hours in the refrigerator. If refrigerating, whisk briefly before serving.
Adapted from Heidi Swanson’s 101 Cookbooks blog