Strawberries, Feta, and Walnuts with Fresh Mint
Like the now-popular combo of watermelon and feta, this pairing of strawberries and feta is striking yet simple. A light sugar syrup, infused with fresh mint and vanilla, lends the berries just the oomph needed to stand up to the zesty cheese.
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 8 large fresh mint leaves divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 large strawberries hulled and sliced
- 2 ounces firm feta very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar; heat slowly, stirring, to dissolve sugar. Raise heat to simmer, and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and add 5 mint leaves, slightly bruised to release their flavor. Cool syrup to room temperature; stir in vanilla.
- Fifteen to 20 minutes before serving, discard the mint leaves from the sugar syrup and combine the strawberries with the syrup. To serve, arrange feta on a serving plate; top with strawberries and some of the syrup, walnuts, and remaining mint leaves, cut in chiffonade.