Tomato Braised Chickpeas with Queso Fresco and Lime
In this deeply satisfying one-pot meal, queso fresco shows off its versatility by adding texture and body to this stew.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1½ cups tomato purée
- 1½ cups queso fresco cubed
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
- Toasted naan or other flatbread
- ►In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Stir in chili powder and fennel seed, cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add onion, tomato, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add chickpeas, tomato purée, and 1 cup of water. Bring
- mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in queso fresco and salt. Cook for an additional minute.
- ►To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with a squeeze of lime and cilantro. Serve with naan on the side.