Tuna Frisée Salad with Citrus-Marinated Manchego and Olives
For this recipe, the Manchego is marinated ahead of time with citrus and herbs. Use a good quality tuna for the best results.
- 8 ounces Manchego cheese, broken into small chunks
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 large head frisée, torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 6 ounces large chunk canned tuna (try Ortiz Bonita Del Toro)
- 4 ounces fresh green olives, pitted (try castelvetrano)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ►In a small jar, combine Manchego, olive oil, lemon and orange zest, thyme, and red pepper. Cover and chill. Allow to marinate for at least 3 hours before serving and up to 3 days ahead.
- ► Toss frisée with vinegar and a tablespoon of marinating oil. On 4 small plates, evenly distribute frisée followed by tuna chunks. Use broad side of a knife to smash olives and add to salads.
- ►Remove Manchego from marinating jar with a spoon and distribute on top each salad. Use remaining marinating oil to drizzle over salads. Finish with a grind of fresh black pepper.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/