Turkey, Cranberry, and Jarlsberg Hand Pies
With nutty Jarlsberg cheese and a slightly sweet cranberry relish wrapped in a flaky crust, these little turkey pies are packed with so much flavor. A perfect snack, an easy make-ahead dinner, or a fantastic way to use holiday leftovers. If you don’t feel like making the crust from scratch, just pick up some store-bought refrigerated pie crust.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup cooked turkey, shredded
- 1 cup grated Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/3 cup cranberry relish
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ► In a large mixing bowl, cut together flour, shortening, and salt until mixture resembles small peas.
- ► In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg, water, and vinegar together with a fork.
- ► Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened and soft dough forms.
- ► Divide dough into 2 disks. Wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- ► Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- ► In a small bowl, with a fork, combine turkey and Jarlsberg.
- ► Roll dough to 1/8″ thick. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut the dough. Recombine and roll out the discarded dough, then cut additional circles until you have approximately 48 circles. Place half of the rounds on baking sheets.
- ► Spread a small amount of cranberry relish onto 24 dough rounds, then top with the turkey and Jarlsberg mixture.
- ► Place remaining rounds on top, pressing to close, then use a fork dipped in flour to crimp around all edges. Using a paring knife, make a small slit in the top of each pie to allow steam to vent during cooking.
- ► Whisk together egg and milk in a small bowl. Brush onto the top of each hand pie using a pastry brush. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until pies are golden-brown.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/