Vincent Price's Horror Dogs
Although Vincent Price was most well known for his frightening horror movie roles in the 1950s, he and his wife were also serious cooks and gourmets, writing cookbooks on the side. This recipe is aptly called "horror dogs," after the theatrical persuasion of their creator.
- Large, thick hot dogs or some sort of cooked sausage.
- 1 block of extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 onion
- ½ stick of butter
- 1 pound of bacon
- Hot dog buns
- Condiments of your choosing. I prefer the usual ketchup, mustard, and relish
- Preheat broiler to about 350°
- Slice onion into very thin rings.
- Melt butter in small frying pan and sautee onions until they are a nice golden color.
- Slice block of cheese into thin strips.
- Slice dog/sausage about ¾ deep length wise and stuff with cheese & onion.
- Wrap dog/sausage in bacon, holding in place with toothpicks.
- Broil until cheese is melted and bacon is fully cooked. (about 3-5 minutes)
- Place dog/sausage on toasted bun and cover with your choice of condiments.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/