Whipped Feta with Spring Onion and Za’atar
A classic of the Greek meze table, this quick-to-concoct savory dip tastes best if made a day ahead and refrigerated. It can be served with virtually any grilled meat or vegetable, crudités, or simply some good pita bread. Za’atar is a Lebanese spice mixture that includes ground thyme, sumac, and sesame seeds. The blend adds a nice counterpoint to the salty taste of feta, but it’s optional.
- 7 ounces soft-style feta (such as Valbreso)
- ¼ cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 2 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons za’atar (optional)
- ¼ to ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a chopping blade, combine feta, yogurt, green onion, and za’atar. Pulse until smooth.
- With the motor running, pour ¼ cup olive oil into the feta mixture, and process until blended. Check the texture, adding more olive oil if a thinner consistency is desired. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh pepper.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/