Whole Wheat Shells with Tahini, Radishes, and Chives
With a dense, rich sauce, this pasta evokes stovetop mac and cheese—but the addition of nutty tahini, sweet roasted radishes, and bright chives keeps things light.
- ½ pound small radishes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces whole wheat shells
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives divided
- Heat oven to 450°F. Halve radishes, then toss with olive oil and salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange cut side down and roast 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender and caramelized around the edges. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook shells to al dente according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup pasta water. Add garlic, mascarpone, sour cream, tahini, lemon juice, and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Process until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a large skillet and warm over medium-low heat (do not boil).
- Drain pasta and add to the skillet with the sauce. Let pasta sit for 2 to 5 minutes to allow sauce to thicken slightly.
- Add ¼ cup pasta water to the skillet and toss until a creamy sauce forms (add additional water as needed). Add ½ the radishes and ½ the chives and toss again. Divide pasta among 4 shallow bowls and garnish with remaining radishes and chives.