This recipe is sponsored by Isigny Ste-Mère.
Isigny Ste-Mère's Leek and Potato Gratin
This gratin is layered with Yukon gold potatoes, sautéed leeks, and Isigny Ste-Mère Mimolette for a nutty, sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with the nutmeg-spiced heavy cream. Pro Tip: Simmering the potatoes in the heavy cream before baking releases starches into the mixture, resulting in a creamier gratin.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes scrubbed and sliced into 1/8” rounds
- 2 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 3 medium leeks white and green parts only, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Isigny Ste-Mère Mimolette grated
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Isigny Ste-Mère Mimolette grated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ►Heat oven to 400°F. Butter 3-quart gratin dish with 2 tablespoons of butter. Set aside.
- ►Place sliced potatoes and cream in large skillet and season with salt and pepper. Partially cover and simmer over medium to medium-low heat. Stir occasionally and gently with a rubber spatula for 8-12 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a fork.
- ►Add remaining butter and leeks and saute under tender and lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer half the potatoes to the prepared dish with a slotted spoon and spread evenly.
- ►Layer leeks, mimolette, thyme, and nutmeg over potatoes. Top with remaining potatoes and any cream left in the skillet over the top.
- ►Combine the breadcrumbs, mimolette, and melted butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle over gratin.
- ►Bake 25-30 minutes, or until top is brown and potatoes are completely tender. Let the gratin cool for 10-30 minutes until liquid is absorbed.