It’s finally that time of year again: the season for patio cocktails, al fresco dinners, and that why not? feeling of indulgence. And Cowgirl Creamery is giving us even more reason to get excited this summer with the launch of their newest, cute-as-a-button cheese: Inverness.
Inspired by the iconic French St Marcellin, this two-ounce cylinder is made similarly to a soft-ripened goat cheese, but with organic cow’s milk from Cowgirl’s pasture-based, regenerative dairy partner. It’s aged a minimum of two weeks, resulting in a bright, lactic flavor and a soft, creamy texture that spreads elegantly on a crusty baguette or hearty cracker.
Inverness is the Cowgirl’s rarest cheese—made only with organic Holstein cow’s milk from nearby, family-run Bivalve Dairy. So once you’re lucky enough to get your hands on a cylinder (or five) we recommend making it a celebration.
Inverness is beverage friendly. You could reach for an everyday glass of wine or that IPA that’s been in the back of your fridge for weeks. But why not spice things up? The fresh and funky flavors of Inverness should only be matched with a drink that’s equally as bright and exciting, so we recommend a glass of spicy and sparkling rosé sangria. This drink just screams summer, and its fruity undertones and mild heat will cut through the cheese’s rich flavor perfectly, making for an unconventional combo that’ll set the stage for the rest of the season.
Sponsored by Cowgirl Creamery
- 2, 750mL bottles of rose
- 1/2 cup bianco vermouth
- A few dashes of hot sauce (Cholula)
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1 sliced lime
- 1 sliced lemon
- 1 sliced orange
- 1 sliced jalapeno de-seeded
- 2, 12 oz. cans of Sprite
- ►Combine Rose, Vermouth and a few dashes of hot sauce in a large pitcher.
- ►Gently twist the mint to release aromatics and lightly wilt leaves, then add to the rose/vermouth mixture.
- ►Add sliced citrus and sliced jalapeno to the pitcher; stir well.
- ►Cover and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- ►Pour sangria mixture into ice-filled glasses and top each glass off with Sprite and fresh mint.