February 18th was National Drink Wine Day (or as we like to call it, Tuesday). If you missed out on the special pairing occasion, read our easy how-to guide on pairing wine with cheese.
In other cheese news:
- A very important delivery was made to the International Space Station earlier this week for an upcoming mission: including important gear, supplies…and, oh yeah, cheese. The crew had been requesting cheese for their journey for a while, and were finally able to bring along some parmesan, fontina, and cheddar by storing in special refrigerated bags. A Food Lab manager referred to this new snack as “a reminder of home” for astronauts.
- A “Dairy is Scary” cryptic billboard in Green Bay, Wisconsin, was hit with intense backlash by members of the cheese industry. One farmer pushed back, saying, “milk is one of the safest food products on the market,” and explained that this spread of misinformation can be extremely harmful for the industry.
- Dietz & Watson recently donated a ton—literally, 2,000 pounds—worth of meat and cheese to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank. That’ll be enough for 10,000 meals to those in need. Cheers to cheese for good!
- Prince Charles showed off one of his most prized possessions a few days ago: a vintage car that runs on wine and cheese. (Yes, really.) An advocate for environmental issues, the royal found a way to make his Aston Martin DB6 Volante run on bioethanol made from wine and cheese over a decade ago. Now, it lives on, chugging away on the fuel of our favorite pairing duo.
- The newest trend in vegan cheese is actually cauliflower-based. This is the creation of Australian chef Shuan Quade, who popularized his non-cheese recipe at his restaurant Lûmé. Now, it’s coming to the states, and it’s making headlines for its groundbreaking taste, texture, and allergy-free ingredients.