Photo credit: Sweet Grass Dairy
May has officially arrived, which means it’s time to head to your local cheese counter and fill up your virtual carts: it’s American Cheese Month! It’s a great time to kick back with an arrangement of domestic cheeses and read our feature on American artisan cheeses, which looks at the passion and hard work that goes into each locally made wheel. After an incredibly tough year for the industry, it’s more important than ever to show your support for the makers and mongers you love.
In other cheese news:
- Have you checked out our brand-new Cheese+ issue yet? In it, we dive into the science behind some of the best cheese pairings, talk to beloved cheese advocate Carlos Yescas, and share some new cheesy recipes to enjoy this season. Buy your copy here.
- As we all crave to spend more time outdoors with friends, Wisconsin-based LaClare Family Creamery launched a new experience to get families together this season. Watch the creamery’s goats as they hang out on the towering 36-foot silo, or browse the seasonal garden center that features over 100 varieties of plants. “We wanted to create a quality on-the-farm experience that will leave everyone talking,” retail manager Jessi Schoof said in a press release.
- Jasper Hill Farm is collaborating with Patagonia Provisions for a brand-new curated gift box that includes all the fixins for a delicious cheese plate with artisan ingredients. Enjoy Jasper Hill Farm’s renowned cow’s milk cheeses with grass-fed buffalo jerky, turmeric breadfruit crackers, and more.
- Summer’s on the horizon and we’re already dreaming about which cocktail and cheese combos we’ll be enjoying al fresco. If you need some inspiration, Forever Cheese is kicking off American Cheese Month with a virtual Summer Cocktails + Cheese class featuring cheesemakers and mongers and their suggested pairings.
- Registration is now open for The American Cheese Society’s upcoming annual conference: Moving Forward Together With Purpose on July 28–30. ACS members can expect a virtual event where they will “celebrate successes, acknowledge struggles, and learn.” Get more info here.
- Cabot Creamery has a new way to enjoy their award-winning cheeses: in boxed mac and cheese. “Many popular snack food brands do not even contain real cheese at all,” said VCPI Chief Executive Officer Adam Farmer. “All of our products are made with the exact same, award-winning cheese that has made Cabot a household name.” The new mac and cheese—along with cheesy popcorn and potato chips—will launch in stores this summer.
- Mother’s Day is just a week away, but it’s not too late to shop for the special ladies in your life. Check out our gift guide for inspiration on the perfect gift for your mamas to enjoy this year.