Savory Appenzeller and Rosemary Sablés
Sablés are a classic French crumbly cookie that comes together in a pinch. Make these for a surprise savory addition to a holiday cookie tray.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups grated Appenzeller
- 3 stalks rosemary leaves separated and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks salted butter at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- Combine flour, Appenzeller, rosemary, chili powder, and salt in a bowl. Mix in butter and egg yolk until a dough forms. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of cold water as needed if mixture doesn’t come together. Wrap dough tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Roll dough into 1⁄4-inch rectangle between two sheets of parchment paper to prevent sticking. Cut 11⁄2-inch squares with a knife. Arrange cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until just brown. Cool completely before serving.