Kale and Appenzeller Strata
This comforting breakfast or brunch casserole can be made in advance for easy entertaining. Add sweet sausage for a heartier version.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large red onion minced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 pound sourdough bread loaf cubed
- 2 cups finely grated Appenzeller
- 1 cup finely grated aged white cheddar
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 10 large eggs
- 2.5 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add kale, cover, and cook until wilted. Stir in salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter a 12″x9″ baking dish. Add half of cubed bread in an even layer, top with one-half cooked kale, and half of each cheese. Repeat this process to create a second layer.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and mustard in a medium bowl. Slowly pour mixture over bread layers. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour or until golden brown. Rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.