Breakfast Spread with Comté, Fig & Walnut Jam, Bread & Fruit
Get out of your morning rut with this healthy and easy breakfast! Arrange slices of Comté on a plate or platter and serve them with fresh bread, homemade Fig & Walnut Jam and fruit. The Fig & Walnut Jam is quick and easy to make, and it’s wonderful with the flavors and aromas of Comté (the jam can also be used in a mouthwatering Comté grilled cheese sandwich or on a cheese platter).
- 1½ cups dried Black Mission figs about 8-9 ounces, stems removed & coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 2-3 inch strip orange zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts chopped
- Comté for serving sliced
- Good quality fresh bread for serving
- Fruit for serving
- In a small saucepan, add the figs, maple syrup, sugar, salt, orange zest, cinnamon stick and 1 ¼ cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 18-22 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the figs with the back of a spoon, until thickened to the consistency of a loose jam. Remove the cinnamon stick and orange zest. Smash the figs a bit more with the back of the spoon. Turn off the heat and stir in the walnuts. Let cool. The jam can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve the fig jam with slices of Comté, good quality bread and fresh fruit. Bon appétit!
Adapted from Web Exclusive from Comté Cheese Association