Savory Chèvre Oatmeal with Poached Egg and Chili Crisp
This spicy, comfort-food meal is inspired by Cilbir (Turkish eggs) and is delicious when paired with sauteed spinach, mushrooms, or fresh spring asparagus.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup steel cut traditional oats
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 ounces fresh chèvre
- A pinch of salt to taste
- 1-2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons spicy chili crisp or chili garlic sauce
- Chili oil to garnish
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in oats, garlic paste, and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Stir goat cheese into hot, cooked oatmeal until fully incorporated. Taste and add salt if needed.
- While oatmeal cooks, prepare egg by bringing a large pot of water with at least 4” of depth to a simmer and add vinegar.
- Crack egg into a fine-mesh strainer to remove a small amount of thin liquid from the tighter egg white and yolk. Pour strained egg into a mini ramekin. Use a wooden spoon to stir simmering liquid clockwise to create a vortex whirl. Gently pour egg into the center of the pot and set a timer for 3 minutes. Remove poached egg and repeat the process to cook a second egg if desired.
- Spoon finished oatmeal into a bowl then top with chili crisp, poached egg, and a drizzle of chili oil. Serve immediately.