Photographed by Joe St. Pierre.
Asiago and Sausage Potato Skins
Cheesy and comforting, these party snacks are always a hit. Italian flavors abound in this version, from fruity asiago to fennel-flecked sausage, savory sun-dried tomatoes, and rich mascarpone cheese.
- 6 russet potatoes
- ¼ cup pesto
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 8 ounces asiago cheese grated, divided
- ¾ cup mascarpone cheese
- Sliced green onions to garnish
- ►Heat oven to 375°F. Prick potatoes all over with a fork and rub with olive oil. Roast for 1 hour, slice in half, and cool.
- ►Heat oven to 450°F. Scoop out most of the potato flesh, leaving a ½ inch in the skins. Brush potato skins with pesto and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until crispy.
- ►Meanwhile, cook sausage in a medium pan over medium heat until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl using a slotted spoon and add sun-dried tomatoes and half asiago cheese to bowl. Divide filling evenly among potato skins. Top with remaining asiago cheese.
- ►Bake potato skins 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and garnish each potato skin with a small dollop of mascarpone and a sprinkle of green onions.
Styled by Chantal Lambeth.