This summer salad hits all the sensory notes and looks impressive, besides.
- 12 ounces camembert, from about 1½ wheels
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-3 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- canola oil for frying
- salt to garnish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 cups fresh mixed greens, washed
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced thinly
- ½ pint blackberries, washed
- flaked salt, to garnish
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Trim rind off camembert to form a large square piece. Cut again into 1” cubes and freeze for about 20 minutes, or until very firm, on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan.
- Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl, set aside. Whisk together eggs in a separate bowl, set aside. Next, create an assembly line of flour, whisked eggs, and a new bowl with breadcrumbs.
- Toss frozen camembert cubes in flour and tap off excess. Transfer to eggs and use a fork to evenly coat each side, letting excess drip off before transferring to breadcrumbs. Shake to coat. Repeat from beginning to bread each cube a second time.
- Heat about 4” of oil in a deep pot until the temperature reaches 365°F. Carefully spoon in breaded camembert and cook for about 1 minute until golden brown. Remove cooked pieces using a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Salt generously.
- Combine all ingredients except for oil in a liquid measuring cup. Slowly pour olive oil and whisk vigorously for about 20 seconds or until emulsified. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Set aside until ready to use or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
- Toss all salad ingredients in a large bowl with prepared dressing. Transfer to individual plates and top with fried camembert pieces. Garnish with flaked salt and freshly ground pepper.