Braised Chicory with Parmesan & Pine Nuts
With its slightly peppery flavor, chicory (a.k.a. curly endive) is an appetizing partner to nutty Parmesan.
- 3 tablespoon pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 pound chicory, coarsely chopped (about 7 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan, plus shavings for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, toast pine nuts lightly; remove from skillet and set aside. Heat oil in skillet; add onion and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add two-thirds chicory and salt to onion mixture. Cook just until chicory wilts. Remove skillet from heat and add remaining third chicory and grated cheese, stirring to blend.
- Plate portions of vegetable mixture, topping each with pine nuts and Parmesan shavings. Serve warm or at room temperature.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/