Charred Eggplant & Ricotta Galette
Loosely inspired by the flavors of zaalouk, a Moroccan eggplant salad, this galette features often-overlooked eggplant in all its charred glory. Make sure you’re using sweet paprika, which is noticeably different than it smoked counterpart, and high quality cumin (we recommend you buy whole and grind it yourself).
- 2 large globe or Italian eggplants quartered lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ large onion sliced (about 2 cups)
- Pastry for one 9-inch pie crust
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar if unavailable, use champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup ricotta
- ►FILLING: Preheat broiler to high. Place eggplant on aluminum- lined baking sheet, skin side up. Broil on top rack 5 to 8 minutes, or until well charred. Remove from oven and cool, then chop into pieces.
- ►In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add eggplant, ½ teaspoon salt, cumin, paprika, and black pepper. Cook until eggplants have given up their moisture and reduced in volume significantly, about 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- ►In the same skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium heat until shimmering Add onions and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook over low-medium heat until lightly caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Add onions to eggplant mixture.
- ►GALETTE: Preheat oven to 400°F. Carefully roll out pie crust, and place filling in center. Smooth out mixture in flat layer, leaving roughly ½-inch room at edges. Fold the edges of the pastry into the middle 6 to 8 times, leaving the filling exposed in the center. Bake galette on the middle rack of the oven until crust is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- ►TOPPING: Combine first eight ingredients in a medium bowl. Top galette with ricotta followed by herb mixture before serving.