New spins on this retro app help keep it fresh.
|Bacon Scallion Cheese Ball
|Young cheddar, cream cheese
|Woven wheat crackers
|Chocolate Chèvre Cheese Ball
|Fresh goat cheese
|Semi-sweet chocolate chips
|Spicy Cheese Ball
|Cream cheese, grated Asiago
|Chopped pepperoncini, chopped salami
|Toasted panko breadcrumbs
|Sweet and Salty Cheese Ball
|Blue cheese, fromage blanc
|Chopped caramelized shallots, chopped dates
Cheese Ball Tips
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature before assembling your cheese ball—but don’t leave fresh cheeses out for longer than two hours.
- Every cheese ball needs a fresh cheese that can hold its shape to serve as the base. Cream cheese is the most common, but you can also use fromage blanc, fresh chèvre, mascarpone, and more. Whip in accent cheeses using a food processor for an additional flavor boost (grate them first if they’re firm).
- Textural contrast is what makes cheese balls so addicting. Fold softer flavorings directly into the mixture, and roll the ball in something crunchy to finish.
- If your cheese ball is too runny, add a tablespoon of unsalted butter to the mixture—this will help it solidify as it chills.
- A dash of booze—beer, wine, or liquor, depending on your recipe—never hurt a cheeseball (it’s the holidays after all!).