Smashed Tomato Toasts with Shaved Cheese
A cheesy twist on pan con tomate these simple bites strike just the right balance of sweet, salty, and earthy. Use the freshest tomatoes you can find—the riper, the better.
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, sliced
- Olive oil, for brushing bread
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 pounds fleshy tomatoes, such as Roma
- Flaky salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces Garrotxa cheese, shaved
- Heat broiler. Brush ciabatta slices with olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil until well toasted, flipping halfway through, about 2 minutes per side. Rub toasts with cut sides of garlic cloves.
- Grate tomatoes coarsely. Spread about 1 teaspoon tomato pulp on each toast, then season with salt and pepper. Top with shaved Garrotxa and serve.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/