Chèvre and Honey Tart with Pistachio Crust and Rhubarb Compote
The jammy and tart rhubarb compote wonderfully accompanies the cool and sweet honey chèvre filling of this easy-to-make dessert. It is best served slightly chilled. Since the chèvre filling develops in flavor over time, consider making it a day ahead.
- 1½ cups toasted and salted shelled pistachios
- ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup 1 stick salted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups about ½ pound chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
Fresh Chèvre and Honey Filling
- 8 ounces fresh chèvre
- 1 cup 2 percent Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Chopped roasted and salted pistachios to garnish
- Confectioner’s sugar or honey to garnish
- Add the first four ingredients to an 11-cup food processor and mix for 15 seconds. Stop and scrape down sides and bottom. Slowly pour in melted butter while food processor runs for about
- 15 more seconds, or until a ball forms. Wrap tightly in cling wrap, pressing down to form a disc, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 325°F. Press chilled dough into a thin, even layer in a 14 x 4.5” rectangular or 9” round non-stick tart pan. Work dough from the center of the pan outward, pressing up into the side walls. Dough should warm slightly while handling, making it easier to work. Use bottom of a dry one-quarter measuring cup to smooth surface and top edges. Prick crust on bottom and sides with a fork. Bake on a half-sheet pan in middle rack for 12-15 minutes until just lightly browned. Cool completely before removing from tart pan.
- Combine rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan over low heat. Bring mixture to a simmer while stirring frequently. Cook for about 15 minutes until rhubarb is mostly broken and compote is a thick, jammy texture. Cool completely in a thin layer on a half-sheet pan.
- Compote can be made two days ahead and stored in an air-tight container in refrigerator. Warm slightly to room temperature once ready to use.
- Mix all ingredients together in a food processor until well combined. Spoon filling into prepared crust and use a spatula to smooth into an even layer. Repeat this process with rhubarb compote over top. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours to overnight; the filling will firm up more with a longer chilling time. Garnish with pistachios and a dusting of confectioner’s sugar or drizzle of honey. Serve immediately.