Chopped Kale Salad with Crushed Hazelnuts, Aged Gouda, and Spicy Anchovy Dressing
Technically an aioli, this creamy dressing stands up well to hearty kale. If you don’t like anchovies, substitute 1 teaspoon salt. You’ll have leftover dressing; use the extra as a dip for crudité.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons grated aged gouda
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup shelled hazelnuts
- 2 bunches Lacinato kale, ribs discarded and leaves cut into ¼-inch ribbons
- ½ cup shaved aged gouda
- ►DRESSING: Combine egg yolks, Worcestershire, anchovies, grated gouda, lemon zest and juice, sherry vinegar, and black pepper in a blender. Begin blending on low, then steadily increase speed to medium-high. With blender running, add canola oil and blend until emulsified. Measure out ¼ cup and reserve remainder for another use (see headnote).
- ►SALAD: Spread hazelnuts on a cutting board. With back of a knife, smash hazelnuts into coarse pieces (don’t worry about uniformity; it’s nice to have variety).
- ►Toss together kale, hazelnuts, and dressing. Gently massage salad with your hands until kale is coated and has begun to soften. Top with shaved gouda and serve.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/